Monday 2 December 2019

Little Peg Doll Christmas Snow Scene Decorations.

I just don't have a clue what to call these little things other than "peg doll Christmas scene decorations"??!!

I got the idea after seeing examples of peg dolls with acorn cup hats on Pinterest.  I've had a box of acorns, cups and twigs for about two years now, after collecting them during a weekend in Wells and so many times I was almost about to either chuck them or give them to nursery, but I am so glad I didn't now.
The peg dolls, sold as wooden counters, were from The Works, the small bristle Christmas trees, which are really lovely and I am praying that I can find some more were from Poundland (6 for £1), and the tiny Christmas dominoes were a charity shop find from years ago.
I coloured the "dolls" bodies with Sharpie pens, then glued on the acorn cup hat, adding a tiny punched holly leaf with three equally tiny flat backed red pearls for the berries. I then covered the picture side of the dominos with 3D effect snow, before changing the original circular, flat base of the trees for a natural coloured bead to give a little more space to work with. I added a few small, iridescent, polystyrene balls and tiny silver balls to fill the space around the peg doll and tree and give extra texture.
I foolishly used a fine liner pen for the eyes and mouth ..... when I really should have known from experience that they would bleed into the wood, doh, doh, doh  ...... however in this case I was able to salvage a near disaster by covering the original pen eyes with tiny black nail art studs, but lesson learnt, next time I will either use a black Biro or glossy enamel accents to do it.

That said, I think these will be the only three I make this Christmas because what I really wanted to do was make them into tree decorations but no matter where I put a screw eye hook (or pair) the blessed thing just turned upside down, it's a physics/balance type problem I know but I just couldn't work it out and after over an hour trying I gave up.  Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved because at the moment I am completely stumped.

As they are I can see them put among Christmas cards and/or other decorations on a shelf and if I had a few more I could perhaps even see them as place settings at the Christmas table.

3 comments:

tilly said...

These are sooooo adorable, thanks for the card which arrived today and your kind words
Tilly

carlytheprincess said...

Hi Helen, I just received your beautiful Christmas card and I came straight to Google to re discover FiddleFart. My heart is full as I see you back to almost daily postings. Oh how I’ve missed your crafting adventures/mishaps/shopping trips etc. Oh Helen, I’m so excited at the prospect of going back and reading everything I’ve missed. So so happy you’re back to doing what you were born to do haha. Your beautiful card is on my windowsill. So happy to see your old style back, matting and layering, and your lovely hand writing. You’ve made my day! Your card will be on it’s way soon
Lots and lots love Carly xxxx

Cheryl W said...

Your peg doll supplies definitely made for some cute little winter scenes. I don't know what would help the balance problem, other than adding a simple frame around your scene and then putting an eyehook in the top of the frame.