Tuesday 12 October 2021

Upcycled Shelves …….. Finally Done!

Oh my goodness me, I never thought this flipping shelving unit would ever get finished, in fact after going off the boil with it, I eventually dragged myself back, only then to think that it would end up in a skip.

IMG_3816

I bought the unit for £30 from a “junk shop” back in June ……… it all started off so well and then I decided to go all fancy by painting sides and back on the inside a different shade of turquoise ……..

IMG_3794

……… but you know I am such an impatient crafter and all the masking off really got on my ample bosom, only to find that I didn’t really like what I had done and only wanted the back board in the paler shade ………. and then, I didn’t want to be bothered!

IMG_3818

Another six or so weeks went by and I had another bash at it, I was on the final furlong, putting the shelves back into the carcass when I found they didn’t fit anymore because of all the layers of paint on the side of them. Let’s just say it got turfed into the bathroom (that I don’t use), a case of out of sight, out of mind.

IMG_3819IMG_3821

However, not to be beaten I treated myself to a mouse sander (always a useful bit of kit), OK, it took me two weeks to use it, but it worked a treat and after only about 40/45 minutes the shelves fit back again without any bother! It’s not the best paint work, but then I know I am always hard on myself. It’s fine and hides the side of the fridge which I hate, I no longer feel I am sitting in the kitchen when I am sat sitting watching the TV.

IMG_3823

At the moment the unit is housing a few of my Halloween bits and bobs, some things I’ve made, like the Halloween truck and the picture frames, some things have come from Poundland over the years and others found in various charity shops …… my latest and currently favourite piece is the plate below, at £2.50, a bit pricey for me ……….

IMG_3822

……. but it just made me smile, it’s so kitsch and Grannyish - Scaredy Cats by Bill Bell for Franklin Mint no less!

IMG_3797

However, I never learn, I have another project on the go now.  I wanted a small table for my Halloween/Christmas tree to go this year, but my absolute limit was £5 …… well imagine how I felt when I saw this fine specimen, for free, outside a house on the school run, well it would have been rude not to avail myself of it!  I am going to do it up to match my upcycled, £3, turquoise Decopatched desk …….. well that’s the theory, just hope it doesn’t take as long as this unit.

2 comments:

Cheryl W said...

Your shleving unit looks perfect! And I'm looking forward to the transformation of your little table. I know it will turn out great.

SeasideKaren said...

Well done for persevering! It looks really good, and makes a perfect divider for your living space x