Monday 9 May 2022

Altered Diorama Tins – Christmas Scene Tin

I’ve had another go at my Christmas tin idea and I have to say they turned out even better than I would ever thought.  I am soooooooo pleased with them, I can’t tell you.

Altered Altoid Tins. Christmas Snowman Diorama Tins

The 20ml tins came from eBay (£7.75 + £1.17 for 12 tins)

Altered Altoid Tin

I started by lining both sides of the open tin with a small print paper, adding a little faux stitching round the edges using a fine tipped, black, permanent pen and then the air dry, paper clay for the snow. I put a little glue behind the “snow”, just in case it shrank in the drying process.

Craft Table In Action

My table was full of all the ready prepared bits and pieces I needed to complete the snowy scene.

Wooden House Embellishments

The houses came from Papermania Bare Basics, however they have since changed the designs in the set I originally bought, but I have had them forever, so I’m not surprised.  I patched over the windows and heart with tiny scraps of red and yellow paper to add and close up the back.

On the front I coloured the houses with a white Posca Pen and then added DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint Writer to the roofs, chimney and around the bottom.

I can’t remember where I got the small bottle brush trees from (but I need a some more for other Christmas ideas).  I took the bases off the trees and stuck them to the back of the houses (above), to give added dimension and in the process nothing was wasted.  I also trimmed the bristles off the back of the trees, so when glued to the back of the tins they lay flat.  I also added a little glue to the wire end of the trees before I sank them into the snow.

The Works 60 Wooden Heart packThe Works Wooden Hearts

The hearts I found in The Works in their Christmas Sale.  I added the writing, again using a fine tipped, black, permanent pen and then glued a small flat bead on the back, so that they would stand slightly proud in the lid.

IMG_1590

The snowmen are among the last of the ones I bought from Michael’s in New York, four years ago now, I love them.  They hold so many memories, I remember exactly how excited I was when I found them, reduced in the sale, but they have to be used.  

I also added some “Writer” to the snow to add more texture.  The tiny silver heart is a metal nail art decoration.

Christmas Diorama In A Tin Snowman SCeneChristmas Altered Altoid Tin. Christmas Diorama

I decorated the backgrounds with small, nail art snowflakes (eBay) which I also put on the front of the tins around the B-Krafty metal greeting embellishments, along with bigger plastic snowflakes and tiny silver flay back domes.

Christmas Altered Altoid Tin

On the back of the tins I glued a small jewellery bail so that the tin can be hung as a decoration on a Christmas tree.

IMG_1604

In all I completed 10 tins in this session and as I said at the start, I am sooooooo pleased with how they turned out, I felt like a proper crafter!

Christmas Snowman Scene Diorama. Altered Altoid Tin

I have another twelve small tins left, so I think I will use them all up for this idea, especially as I also have enough snowmen and trees to do it too.  I do need a few more houses, but I have found these on The Works website, a pack of 20 for £1, it’s a no brainer.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/wooden-crafts/wooden-house-embellishments-pack-of-20/5052089316928.html

……. And when the next batch of tins are done, I have these other tins to use up!

Altered Cigar Tin

They are quite a bit bigger, so I am thinking a tin Christmas card decoration, with a similar scene inside, using bigger embellishments and perhaps a verse or two of “Let it Snow” in an old typewriter font on the other side?  Not sure about the front …….. we shall see.

3 comments:

Cheryl W said...

These look great! I am amazed at how you managed to get everything in the right proportion. They will be wonderful Christmas decorations.

Anonymous said...

Stunning, you’re so creative.

Michele

tilly said...

these have turned out really well and you are getting through your stash, I'm sure they will be well recieved, Tilly