Tuesday 10 May 2022

Craft Room Sort Out

Aghhhhh,  this is a job I have to make myself do at least twice a year, when I feel I can’t find anything, everything seems to be in the wrong box/drawer and any recent acquisitions haven’t found a new home and end up is bundled in a drawer and instantly forgotten. I can’t be the only crafter that “stuff” sometimes gets too much for, when I question whether to call time on crafting before my stash finally swallows me up?

IMG_1812

So, after the Easter holidays and when Iris and Bertie had been through almost everything, I started ….. it took me three days, off and on…..

IMG_1814

….. but calm and order have now been restored and I feel I can craft again without having to get everything out to get to something I need to use and chaos ensues. Everything seems to fit somewhere, without the new large boxes I had anticipated might be needed, leaving whatever spare surfaces I had still free.

IMG_1821

Not a lot was actually thrown out, but what was, was mostly packaging, broken boxes and the odd bit.

IMG_1824

While I was at it I made notes of anything I could do without, which will probably be sold, offered or made into grab bags for any Craft Faye I might to do later on in the year.

IMG_1815IMG_1816

In one hidden corner I found a box and basket full of all the wooden bricks I had been collecting from various charity shops for pennies. That was almost my point of despair. How many bricks did I really think I needed, despite all their potential, never in a month of Sundays would I ever use them all. So I picked out the rectangles and squares, the most useful, (but probably still too many) and then bagged up the rest to donate back from whence they came,  bearing in mind that I already have at least 40 odd Jenga bricks, all painted, ready to be turned into snowmen as potential random kindness gifts this Christmas.  What am I like?

IMG_1822IMG_1817

And a question….. what happens to all the plastic lids and boxes that you’ve put carefully aside for such a clear up job?  Why, when you get them out again, do none of the lids match any of the boxes, but did when you originally put them away?

IMG_1819

Crafting can now be resumed with Kermit able to relax again, while I complete all the half way through projects in my “working on basket”,  before starting on any new ones.

IMG_1820

However, one decision I did come to was to have doors (matching the others in the room) put on the shelving unit.  It’s nice to have a few nic nacs on them, but they are really deep and the space behind my tranklements wasted.  So I called my man “that does”.

IMG_1813

I don’t really want to fill this new cupboard space with even more stuff, but instead move all the bigger tools I currently keep in the drawers into it. I also want to keep the bedding I have when visitors sleepover in there.  It will make things much simpler as it’s a bit of a rigmarole at the moment when everything is in my bedroom cupboards.  It’s sort of spreading things out a bit more for much easier access. My man that does always has a long waiting list, but hopefully the wait will be worth it …… where I will put my tranklements then however is another story.

2 comments:

Cheryl W said...

My craft area is in SERIOUS need of a clean out. I "thought" about getting started on it today, but then just worked on a few cards, making the mess even messier. One of these days, I'll actually do it...

SeasideKaren said...

Ooh Helen I do love a good sort out! Since moving to our beloved seaside apartment I no longer have the luxury of a craft room, and the spare bedroom wardrobe is my glory hole! I’m almost at the end of my college art course and I’m doing my final examination piece on my memories of the seaside….the wardrobe is currently stuffed to the gills with buckets and spades along with paints, canvases and easels! I will be joining you in the jolly good sort out department when college is finished next month!