Monday 7 November 2022

Gingerbread House Tree Decorations.

Christmas stash busting ……….

Handmade Gingerbread man decorations

OMG, these gingerbread houses seemed to take forever to put together ……

IMG_1284IMG_1286

…….. they started as a very basic idea to help use up some of the wooden, fairy door embellishments I bought from Hobbycraft about two years ago ………

Hobbycraft Fairy Doors CHristmas Embellishments

……… but then they seemed to take on a life of their own as I kept adding one more bit of fiddle fart after another.

IMG_1041IMG_1042

I used two MDF shapes for base of the house, one was actually a dog kennel (eBay),  these I coloured with a tannish brown felt pen …….

IMG_1091Tulip Slick

…….. while I painted both sides of  the other  houses with a Wilko emulsion tester pot.

IMG_1043IMG_1116

Then I think I did things in totally the wrong order, but hey ho. I added white Tulip Slick dimensional fabric paint to the roof and then cut a template to cover the back of the kennel houses with a suitably sized and patterned Christmas design paper.  Adding  a small bail and more Slick to the back of the roof, before adding a few faux stitches using a fine tipped felt pen along the bottom and sides when dry.

IMG_1120IMG_1123

At this point I wasn’t very sure where I was going with the idea ………

IMG_1101IMG_1100

I put a scrap of yellow paper behind the window of the door to give the illusion of a light being on behind it.

IMG_1109

Then decided to add two roughly painted craft sticks glued one on top of the other along the bottom of the house to give extra dimension for sticking an MDF Christmas tree either side of the door, plus a gingerbread man to ……

   IMG_1126IMG_1090IMG_1127

……. but these extras all needed painting, varnishing and doodling on, as did the MDF Gingerbread men, all adding to the mounting fiddle fart …..

IMG_1104IMG_1122

……. but finally it was time to put everything together.

IMG_1124

…… with a little more doodling using a white Arisito marker pen around the doors.

IMG_1136IMG_1133

There were so many tiny flat back gems, Fimo, nail art candy swirls and snowflakes and tiny holly punchies  on the table I didn’t know where to turn ………. but I got there in the end.

IMG_1138

However, not content with just decorating the front, my attention then turned to the back of the houses, adding another gingerbread man plus Fimo candy swirls and snowflakes from eBay These bags were such good value I will definitely be ordering the snowflakes at least again, as I can see their proportions working on so many other Christmas ideas going into next year.

IMG_1280

I love how they turned out…….

IMG_1283IMG_1287

……. but they were so much work, with all the individual, plain, MDF embellishments needing to be prepared and embellished and then I always seemed to be waiting for the Slick to dry.

Gingerbread House Tree DecorationsHandmade Gingerbread House Tree Decorations

With all the house shapes used up, I am now thinking (in the new year), I should try the idea again but this time using the log cabin idea from last week, we shall see.

Sorry for this rambling post, I hope it makes sense!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gingerbread houses are gorgeous!!

Michele

tilly said...

what a lot of work and waiting time to make them but they are GORGEOUS !! Tilly

Seaside Karen said...

Oh they are so beautiful though, and well worth all the effort. They’ll be treasured every year I’m sure xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

You really are amazing at projects like this, these are all so beautiful and wonderful.
Faith x

Cheryl W said...

These are gorgeous little Christmas houses! Once again, you've done yourself proud. Each one is a treasure.

Anonymous said...

Yes yes and yes again these again are fab and would definitely be brought out each.year to admire big love Marc