Monday 27 March 2023

The Works - Easter Decorated Crates

My apologies, I know I ask this every year, but why do I always find Easter such a struggle to craft for? Perhaps it’s the colours or being seemingly limited to bunnies, chicks and eggs, but nothing I do ever seems to gel, despite poring over Pinterest from February onwards for inspiration. I guess I’m just not a spring person!

IMG_1292

Even these decorated crates for Iris and Bertie are seem awfully lack lustre to me, but there again I know they will be loved and filled with all manner of treasure, Bertie’s, probably with teabags and Iris pens!

IMG_1293

The wooden crates came from The Works last autumn …….

IMG_1291

………. when they were reduced from £2 to £1 each for a couple of weeks, so I stocked up.  They still sell them, but they’ve now gone back up to their original price.

IMG_1294

All the wooden embellishments, which have been collected over the years have mostly come from The Works, with the exception of the rabbits.

IMG_1290

I suppose, all told, this idea was an excellent way of using up a few more of the Easter stragglers still left my seasonal take-away boxes.

IMG_1288

The leaves were coloured using a green Sharpie pen, before everything was simply stuck on the sides of the crates using E-7000 glue. This was followed by adding a few clusters of three dots here and there with a black biro (to prevent any ink bleeding into the wood) to help fill in some of the empty space.

IMG_1296

The bunnies came from Home Bargains and cost 99p each, as did the carrots which were 79p, I believe for a pack of 6 or 8(?).  The carrots, which have a hanging loop, are a bargain, especially when you see what they are charging for similar packs in other shops and online. I particularly like the paper “leafage” on them much better that the really plastic-y stems I have seen on other carrots elsewhere.  Needless to say I bought a couple of packs which I think I will scatter here and there and hang on my small, charity shop, illuminated table twig tree nearer the day.

IMG_1295

I then put a few chocolate bits and pieces in the crates. Iris and Bertie like chocolate but in small doses, unlike their Nanny, who can never have too much! Bertie still has a stock of his Christmas chocolate in his bedroom, which he has, on occassion, carefully wrapped in a dried out wet wipe and a mountain of Sellotape, that boy loves a tape dispenser, to present to me when he feels the occassion is right!  What is he like?  You just got to love him!  Happy, happy days!

2 comments:

Cheryl W said...

I think these crates are very sweet. I'm certain the children will love them.

Anonymous said...

The Easter crates look lovely.

Michele