Monday, 30 October 2017

Experimenting With Martha Stewart Molds

While I was in Swindon with Di and Mrs A on our first meet up a little while back, Di gave me a very generous collection of Martha Stewart flora and fauna molds.  I was thrilled as I had seen them before and was sorely tempted but held back!
….. And well,  after receiving such a lovely gift it would have been rude not to experiment with them.
IMG_4708I decided to have a go at making a couple of tags, using air drying clay and cookie cutters to cut out the main tag part.
IMG_4706 I coloured the white clay with a tiny amount of green and pink paper clay, which although I was a little  tentative, worked perfectly for colouring the moulded embellishment pieces.
The flowers and leaves were stuck easily to the tags with a little water, forming a very secure bond. I added a little edging using a cocktail stick just to finish things off and also to make a hole for a tie. All that was left to do was allow the tags to dry completely, which due to their thickness took quite a while.
Once dry, I simply added a thread tie.  I was going to add a wooden bead but on this occasion I didn’t think the wood of the bead and the clay made a good marriage, sometimes I don’t like mixing too different a type  of material on an idea …… 
…… however if I were to repeat this or a similar project I think I would probably make a few extra clay beads for that purpose, just in case.