This is my second exploration into the world of making Christmas diorama's with a few small changes following on from the original one I posted last week.
After discovering that I only had two trays (originally used as packaging for small wooden embellishments) with which to make any more (I could have sworn I had at least ten in my box) I needed to think on my feet, so I looked in the box again and had a think about these divided ones.......
...... far too big to be cute, but, what if I tried cutting them, it would mean sacrificing two compartments, but in turn would give me two more complete diorama trays? I tried, it worked and now gave me the potential to make another ten dioramas, which is probably more than enough for this year, so win win I guess.
My idea was to use the shorter sides of the tray as the top and bottom of the scene, the opposite of my original diorama, this, I reasoned, would alleviate the need for so much fiddle fart when creating the background scene between the tree and the snowman. I made a new fatter and taller snowman, again using Das oven baked clay as the new tray was also slightly bigger than the original. With this version I again used twisted black wire for his arms, however, I plan, with my next version (??) to use some small dried twigs that I'd forgotten I had, to make the snowmen look a more realistic (??).
Then, I discovered that I also fewer larger trees than I thought ...... doh! However, a quick search on The Works website bought up these packs of two 10cm bottle brush trees.
When they arrived they were taller than the original one I used, but by removing the base, and sinking the bare wire into the foam dough snow it just about fit the frame and I thought I could simply add the star to the top of the snowy "pelmet" instead of the actual tree.
I lined the back of the tray with a scrap of Christmas design paper, to be honest the design didn't really matter as it would be pretty much covered in the finished diorama.
I covered the bottom with Martha Stewart craft clay, that has a foam type consistency. However, my supply is also liable to run out too (when I go into mass production) so I ordered a huge tub of White Air Magic Soft Modelling Dough from e-bay, as I know I will definitely find other Christmas projects to use it with, as well as being an lovely medium for Iris and Bertie to play/create with.
I added the tree, fixing it in position securely with E600 glue. I didn't fix the snowman in position until I was sure that the "Let It Snow" wording, using Tim Holtz Idea-ology label letters, would be clearly visible between the two, this took a little fiddly jiggery pokery.
I originally used Dovecraft 3D pearl on the "pelmet" and around the edges and bottom of my first diorama but swopped it for 3D Effect Snow which I found online, it doesn't flow as smoothly as the Dovecraft and has a weird gritty type texture, but it does look more realistic.