I know that this isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I wanted my “new” bathroom to be special, girlie and me! I am, by habit, a shower girl, partly because the bathroom was looking decidedly tatty and not convivial to taking long baths ….. but I know a long soak would help me to relax more ….. and so I thought, if I had a bathroom that was more “romantic”, I would use it more and therefore be more relaxed ……
So with the plain white tiles, floor tiles, basin and loo are on order, (I am keeping the bath), my part was to “fiddlefart” the MDF bath panel ready for the big push.
It took a while for me to work out the size patchwork square needed to be, maths not being my forte. In the end they worked out to be 4.75 inches by 4.75 inches, made from 12” x 12” sheets of my favourite papers of all time, My Mind’s Eye, Stella and Rose. The floor tiles are a light grey and all the patterns I selected have a grey element in them.
The gluing, using PVA took me about 3/4 of an hour to complete and I was so thrilled that there wasn’t a wrinkle in sight and everything fitted together beautifully, nothing was out of kilter, which is very unusual for me!
Then followed coat after coat of quick drying, clear satin finish varnish (Wilkos), I forget how many coats, but as the panel is going into a damp environment I didn’t want to risk it going soggy, so my reasoning was the more coats the better.
And then, before the final few coats of varnish, can you believe, I went round each patch with a black pen putting in faux stitching to add a little definition ….. I just couldn’t resist it!
So that’s the main panel done, next weekend will be spent doing exactly the same thing but for the much smaller end panel. I think/hope it’s going to look OK …. but only time will tell!