Wednesday 29 March 2017

An Easter Wreath Experiment

Oh my goodness, how did I ever find time to work, or am I just showing my age and slowing down.  When I think of everything I had to to do when I worked …… and what I actually “have” to do now …… oh well!
Easter Crafting TableThis is where I left off crafting last week and I haven’t progressed any further, however, I thought I would show you what I had done so far on the wreath I want to put on my Easter door.
Easter Wreath The wreath, has been a huge learning curve as I have never made one before, I thought it would be sooooooooo easy, but at every turn I have met with something that has hindered my progress.
Easter Wreath 1The polystyrene ring came from Hobbycraft, and was my first stumbling block as it was rounded on both sides.  I tried to cover it “bare” with punched flowers, but it just didn’t look right, the flowers didn’t lie like I wanted them to.  In the end, in sheer frustration I sliced the ring in half using my best carving knife, and then covered it in purple ribbon left over from Tom and Laura’s wedding unbelievably some four years ago.  I now realise that I what really should have done was buy the set of two cardboard rings that I ummmed and ahhhed about at the much maligned HobbyCraft Show at the NEC! Flat circles, are, for me, definitely the way to go when making any future wreaths.Easter Wreath 3The flowers still didn’t lie exactly as I wanted, but I decided I was in too far to start fiddle farting again, but I still couldn’t help doing a bit of this and that, with punched leaf sprays and flower centres before really fully committing.
Easter Wreath aI decided to keep things really simple and only add one punched centre to each large flower, at the start I went overboard with fancy centres, but it was too much.
aster Wreath bSo, this is as far as I have got after a week ……….
Easter Wreath cPerhaps I am over critical when working on something that is totally new to me ……. but ….. I wish ….. I had gone for more spring and pastel type colours, to me the wreath is too strong and hot, where for Easter, I think it should have been light, cool and dainty, if that makes sense?
I now need to add more leaf sprays and gem centres to the flowers and then, hopefully, it will be completed by my next post.

3 comments:

Cheryl W said...

If your leaf sprays are all that pastel green I see in your photo, they'll lighten the whole wreath up some. I think its pretty as it is and reflects the colors of flowers IRL.

ali said...

I thought it was just me, that started things and then spent what felt like a lifetime trying to get it done, sometimes we need to think the things through before we start. I love the things you do you are incredibley creative

alison

tilly said...

it,s looking good but see what you mean about more pastel shades, I awlays buy the wire rings when making Christmas wreaths, lots of sizes in them
Tilly