Monday 22 October 2018

Pirate Mirror – Part 1

I have to hang my head in crafting shame …… I can’t believe it but I actually started this mirror for Bertie at the end of August 2017, what am I like? https://itsallfiddlefart.blogspot.com/2017/08/pirate-mirror.html, needless to say he didn’t get it for last Christmas, but I think it’s a dead cert for his stocking this year. 
To back track to August after covering the mirror with play doubloons I just couldn’t find the right embellishments in the right materials and proportions to feel happy in progressing any further, so sadly it was put at the bottom of the wardrobe and quite frankly forgotten about unless I cleaned in there!
IMG_8496IMG_8499
One stumbling block was that I only had one pirate to put on it, however without even looking I found another five bagged together in a charity shop in Worcester, now £4.99 was a little out of my comfort zone but as they were the same make as the original one it really was a no brainer.
IMG_8501
The mirror was bought out again and the pirate positions jiggled with along with the compasses, but again I hit a wall as I couldn’t think of anything to bring them all together and fill in the gaps, so after a brief reprieve the mirror was put in mothballs again …… aghhhhhh.
IMG_8500
Finding a pirate ship in the 10p box of an Evesham charity shop brought it out again …….
IMG_8502
……. and it was then that I found the confidence to commit to some gluing (E6000) the pirates and compasses along with some small pirate beads and cabochons, however, these were removed shortly after when other ideas came into play ……..
IMG_8508
…… especially after I decided that making a few pirate maps using Fimo could possibly be the link I had been missing ……. I made four and from there I could now see where I was going.
Pirate Mirror ..Pirate Mirror....
But you know me, I like things to be balanced and symmetrical so after raiding my old, broken jewellery stash for big gems I spent quite a bit of time distributing them evenly around the mirror ……… and then I am afraid  I hit another halt. I loved the effect when I added broken pearl and chain necklaces, but realised I didn’t have enough, so before I filled all the gaps with gems another trip to the charity shops was called for to find some more ……..
Pirate Mirror...
……… and that’s where I had to leave things for yet short period of time, but tomorrow you will finally be able to see the finished results of what became something of a pirate epic!

4 comments:

CraftyCoffey said...

The mirror is looking great, can’t wait to see the finished project.

Michele

tilly said...

wow, lots of thoughts and 'fiddling' going into this lol...we know Bertie will love and treasure it though !! love your new maps and treasure.
Tilly

Pamela said...

It’s looking great so far can’t wait for tomorrow!

marc said...

amazing big love marc