Thursday 23 July 2020

Charity Shop Puzzle – Were These Painted by Valerie Pfeiffer?

I bought this pair of small glasses from my favourite Vale Wild charity shop in Evesham for about 50p each a while back simply because they were pretty, hand painted and I could see them with a tealight inside.

V Pfeiffer

I thought they’d been perhaps painted by someone amateur having a go at glass painting as some of the lines on the flowers and leaves looked like something I might have done ……

IMG_6126

……. but then I noticed that they both had a signature, and curiosity getting the better of me, I did a Google search expecting nothing significant to come back …………

IMG_6125

However, I found an artist called Valerie Pfeiffer, Australian born, but now, I believe, living in Canada, famous for her cute bird pictures…….. 

4180_79824751269_4226409_n

…….. of which many have, in turn, been used to create beautiful cross stitch kits.

chorus-line-cross-stitch-kit-valerie-pfeiffer

   Valerie is also known for her paintings of flowers ……

Picture1

…….. it was when I compared the signatures that I thought they looked very similar, however that’s as far as I have managed to get, I can’t find anything else about the artist.  To be honest I think the painting on the glasses seems crude when compared to the artists paintings, however the hand painted signature is still intriguing.

3 comments:

Cheryl W said...

Interesting find...and pretty, too! The signatures definitely look very similar. I hope you're able to pin down whether or not the artist is Valerie Pfeiffer.

Linny said...

The signatures do loook the same. What a find though. Love them.

Di said...

Oooh, how interesting! It does look so like her signature - the slight curve on the letters V and E are quite distinctive. I did some sleuthing and came up with much the same as you Helen. She does live in Canada it seems (Vancouver). These dear little glasses seem to be almost 'one offs' as I can find pottery and cross stitch but no glassware. And I bet they will look lovely lit up. Love, Di xx