Tuesday 7 July 2020

Let It Snow Christmas Tree Decorations

There has been an awful lot of fiddle fart in putting this idea together …….. so for now, this post is more about the experimentation rather any finished articles.

Let It Snow Christmas Tree decoration baubles

It started with me finally finding these Craft for Christmas metal Christmas trees  (below) again after several years of searching.

Craft for Christmas Metal Christmas Tree embellishments

I’d had a couple of packets a few years ago and used them on microscope slide decorations, but once I’d used them up that was it, until they popped up on eBay, and yes, I bought in bulk, as I now realise their potential for all manner of projects.

I started off with a wooden child’s domino piece as a base, adding the snowy background using scraps of blue paper and white glitter card, before securing the tree with my glue gun. The legend, “Let It Snow” was made using small, self adhesive, slightly trimmed alphabet stickers with snowflake sequins and stars added to fill in any gaps, and then the whole thing was covered with a generous dose of Ranger Glossy Accents.

Picture1

It was the sides that I was finding difficult, I tried dipping the edges in melted, ultra thick, white Utee in my Melt Pot, (above) but the effect was a little too heavy and lumpy for me. It was also fiddly with little margin for error. I then had a go at using white embossing powder and my heat gun, but for the time and effort that went into it, the overall effect just wasn’t worth it.

Picture2

Painting the edges with white Match-Pot paint (above) was OK, but not as “professional” looking as I would have liked.

Picture3

In the end, although I don’t really like having both gold and silver together on the same project, I decided to try edging the sides with narrow, silver, adhesive foil tape, before edging the front with Ranger Glossy Enamels, with a silver eye screw in the top, I think it works, despite my misgivings, so that is the idea I am going to work with when I eventually organise myself to make more.

IMG_6140

I also prefer the dead plain, blue paper (to the right, below) as a background, the more muted linen design paper is perhaps a little too subtle, although there really isn’t a great deal between them.

IMG_6141

I am hoping to get at least twenty more of these decorations done, I think the design should work well with the red and green trees, but I might not use the gold, because of my “gold/silver thing”, we shall see.  I’ll post a couple more pictures when I’m done, so watch this space.

1 comment:

Cheryl W said...

These turned out so great! Those little trees are the perfect size and I love their whimsical design. Are you really going to make 20 more? That's definitely a lot of fiddle-farting.