Tuesday 8 March 2022

Wooden Snowflake Wreath

I have wanted to make a delicate, snowflake  wreath for ages ........

....... it’s just the inspiration wasn’t there, however when I found a small, 7.5ins wooden embroidery hoop in a local charity shop for just 25p (giving me two frames to make two separate wreaths), I felt I no longer had an excuse not to at least play a little.

IMG_0795

I started by taking the inner hoop and painting it white using a Wilko emulsion tester pot.

IMG_0876Snowflake wreath.

While the hoop was drying I sorted out all the white wooden snowflakes I had (I have no idea where any of them came from!). I found had three different sizes and shapes.

IMG_0870

I only had twelve of the smallest snowflakes, so I decided to space them evenly round the hoop first and then add the largest snowflakes in between them, over the top, again spaced as evenly as I could (I hope that makes sense). It’s a little clearer on the reverse side.

IMG_0871

When these were all securely in place, I added the snowflakes I had the most of in the middle of the largest ones ………

IMG_0872

…… and then, emboldened by the way it was all shaping up, added another layer of them on the inside.

IMG_0873

…….followed by another one on the outside, adding more dimension and width.

IMG_0875

The wreath then needed some shine, as although pretty, it was a little flat, so I put a silver confetti snowflake in the middle of all the snowflakes …….

IMG_0899

……. with a flat back pearl in the middle and a clear flat back gem in the centre of the original spacer snowflakes.

IMG_0919

The final touch was a generous, but I hope, subtle application of Glitter Crystal Diamonds on all snowflake branches ……..

IMG_0948

…….. which was a nightmare to capture in a photograph, with glitter it’s always a matter of lighting, in this spring daylight I wondered if I had actually put that much on, however I found it came into it’s own by candlelight, where it does look quite magical and exactly how I envisioned in my head.

IMG_0947IMG_0949

Finally on the back I cobbled together a small loop to hang the wreath by, made by using thin, silver jewellery wire.

IMG_0946

Now........ what to do with the other half of the embroidery hoop?

3 comments:

Cheryl W said...

Wow! Your snowflake wreath is beautiful! And you had the perfect wooden snowflakes to pull it all together. It's going to look great as part of your decor next Christmas.

CraftyCoffey said...

I love this wreath, it’s so classy. Can’t wait to see what else you create.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it! So elegant.
Suggestion for what to do with the other hoop - tin chickens! loving them - just too cute.
Marnie