Wednesday 17 August 2022

What’s on My Desk Wednesday

This used to be such an autumn ritual for me since forever, but something I haven’t done for the last five years, I am talking pickling onions!

IMG_2738

I had been sort of contemplating the idea for a while and nipped into the greengrocer on a whim to find out when he might be having some in, only to find that he already had a few sacks, with the prediction that they would certainly be going up in price in the coming weeks/months.  Well, it would have been rude not to make a considered purchase wouldn’t it, especially when shop bought jars never quite hit the pickled onion button!

IMG_2737

I’ve never done them this early before, it was always a September thing, but after three and a half hours of constant peeling on Sunday morning, as I was on the brink of developing blisters, I was done and feeling pretty smug and satisfied with myself.   Now, I’ve just got to forget about them for a while with fingers crossed they turn out OK ……. then look out cold meats, cheese and crusty bread, because here I come!

4 comments:

Cheryl W said...

I LOVE pickled onions, so I understand your eagerness to taste a few.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Something we always do, hubby has to peel them though, as I am a mess after just 5 minutes and can't see for hours after. They don't seem to be around as much as they used to be? Must look out for them again. Christmas isn't Christmas without Pickled Onions hahaha.
Faith x

Seaside Karen said...

Ooh I love pickled onions, especially with my Wednesday night fish and chips, but always buy them in a jar. Would you consider a blog on how to pickle them to perfection please??

Anonymous said...

Rick's dad and mum use to do all ours now days it's the farmers market shop I won't tell Rick he will expect a jar in his Christmas bag of tack.as you call itwe call it amazing tack.and it makes our Christmas day big love Marc