Monday 3 October 2022

Mini Christmas Cards – Using Hobbycraft 4ins x 4ins Card Blanks

Christmas Stash Busting......

This is an idea I first began way back in March, starting with just six mini cards but not, as is often my want, not following up until I finally decided the other weekend that I really ought to get cracking on the rest as the way time is flying, December will be upon us before we know it!

IMG_0864

The original aim was to make enough cards for Iris and Bertie to send out to all their little friends at school ……..

IMG_0865

…….. but those numbers have since doubled as I now listen to two classes of littlies read, twice a week in school, as well.

IMG_0866

So, my aim, over a long weekend was to get 150 4ins x 4ins cards done with a few extra as spares.

584773_1000_2_-white-cards-and-envelopes-4-x-4-inches-50-pack

The card blanks came from Hobbycraft and cost £5 for a pack of 50, which isn’t too bad a price, working out at 10p each.

IMG_0859IMG_0861

They turned out to be pretty formulaic, mainly due to the numbers needed I.e.  a 2.5ins square of festive patterned paper, mat and layered on silver and then another plain matching colour, usually red and green ……..

IMG_0863

……. which were then embellished with a whole assortment of Christmas stickers, toppers, wooden shapes, odds and ends etc. that I have gathered over the years but until now not used.

IMG_0867

However, despite me thinking, by the end, that I must have got through 1,000’s of the things, it still doesn’t seem to have put the tiniest dent in my stash, aghhhhhhh!

IMG_0868

I did think I might struggle a bit as I only tend to make a handful of cards in the year these days, it doesn’t take much for me to get rusty ……..

IMG_0869

…… but using the formula, everything still seemed to fall into place.

IMG_0870

I will admit to not being too precious in overthinking the colour/pattern matching or worrying about getting the dimensions just right which was a first for me! I also simply trimmed the matted layers with a  large pair of scissors, instead of my much more precise paper trimmer, it was just quicker.

IMG_0871

As I went on however the fiddle-farter in me came out as I started to add more and more detail, faux stitching, clusters of three dots, flat back gems, various other tiny embellishments and of course a little Ranger Glossy Accents here and there.

IMG_0872IMG_0873

I am really chuffed with how they have all turned out and perhaps, just maybe, it’s reignited my interest making a few more cards in the future ……..

IMG_0862

……. because believe it or not birthdays always seem to creep up on me, having a small of stock of “ready mades” really would come in very handy.

3 comments:

tilly said...

That is a marathon card making session but it will be worthwhile, and appreciated by the little ones Tilly

Cheryl W said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! You were a card-making machine. All the cards are so festive and perfect for sending Christmas greetings. You've inspired me once again.

Anonymous said...

That's the way to do it big love Marc