Monday 21 November 2022

Christmas Cat Tags or Christmas Tree Decorations

I don’t really “do” cats, but I have to admit that these old school, wooden cat embellishments that I got for 20p a pack a while back are sort of cute.

IMG_1355

These tags were a bit of an experiment…………

IMG_1346IMG_1343

……. using some extra thick cardboard pieces from a children’s game that I found for £1 in a charity shop. After realising their potential, I knew I couldn’t buy new card or wooden pieces for anywhere near that price on eBay, so it would have been rude not to buy them.  There were about 15 each of the squares and circles, plus a bag that could come in useful for something. The glittery, foam Christmas hats came from The Works (£1 for 21 in three different sizes).

IMG_1348IMG_1352

I covered both sides of the cardboard circles with a small Christmas patterned paper, inserting a flat bail between the layers to tie/hang the tag/decoration by.  I also coloured the edges of the circles with a black Sharpie pen to hid the bare card colour.

IMG_1349IMG_1353

The cat was given a scarf using scraps of red snowflake ribbon, before I gave him a hat, putting the reverse image of one on the back of his head just because I’m a bit anal about how my decorations look from the back too.

IMG_1358

The final touch was a tiny, holly sprig punchie with three, red, pearl, flat back gems for the berries on the hat.

IMG_1354

It’s the start of an idea, I am not 100% with the edging, it looks clumsy, but I think that may be down to my choice of paper and then pen rather than anything else. It’s also an idea that would look pretty OK on a Christmas card for a cat person, however, what I really want to try now is the cat sat sitting in front of a basic, flat, craft stick house shape, adding some snow and perhaps a fish ……….. so watch this space!

2 comments:

Cheryl W said...

I think they're pretty cute as they are. I especially like their silly faces. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the cats and the craft stick houses.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Fussy about cats or not Christine, these are just perfect, the hat on the back, I agree, has to be done, they are just very lovely and wonderful.
Faith x