Tuesday 19 July 2011

Honesty Is The Best Policy!

I cannot tell a lie …… and have been complemented after past reviews by people who have said that they trust my honesty ……
With that said, I’m always thrilled to be asked to write a review, so when I was asked if I would like to try out a serious bit of kit for my craft room I said yes straightway, especially as it was something I really needed,  but as I accepted the offer I had a little niggle in my head.
Well, it arrived and as I unpacked it the Duke said straight away “That’s not right for you!”  - seeing  a potential problem with fixing it to my desk. But, once set up there was nothing really wrong with it .…. it was me, despite working with it for several days, I just didn’t like it, it didn’t give me what I expected, and being very expensive and free didn’t hold any sway.
…. Then I started to worry … if I didn’t like it, there was no way I could write about it,  so I looked at recent reviews and though other people raved about its attributes, they still didn’t make any difference to how I felt.
I was so disappointed!  I wrote back to the lovely agent, who asked me what the problems were, and all I could say was that I just didn’t like it and therefore I didn’t feel I could recommend it on my blog. They were very gracious, I’m not sure if it’s ever happened before, and now I’m waiting for it to be collected and taken back …. But I have learnt a huge lesson … to think very carefully before accepting any offer and always be up front and say, before, anything is sent out that if I don’t like it I won’t review it ….. and trust that spooky Derek Acorah voice in my head a little bit more!

5 comments:

Lou x said...

Honesty is always the best policy :D

PeeJay said...

But isn't that the idea of reviews - to give a balanced view of something, good and bad? I appreciate honesty and can see what you're saying here but personally I would believe a review that is not a total 'this thing can do no wrong' review more than those that rave over something. There is never anything that is 100% perfect for everyone so I like to know the less good points - or what others find don't suit them - of a product, as the same may apply to me. The more information we can glean about a product the more of an educated decision we can make as to whether we buy or not. As you say this was an expensive piece of kit, isn't it even more important that there are more balanced views out there for anyone contemplating a major purchase?

Not sure you should have taken the action you have but then you have to be happy with what you're doing. I think I would have written the review and then returned it but that's me. At the end of the day, you didn't know for sure that it wasn't for you until you actually tried it. There could be many out there like that but they will have to go to the expense of buying it to find out, or not buy at all.

Perhaps the desk model might have been better for you - which seems is what most people have had to review. It was the lamp?

Paula said...

I'd much rather get a balanced view of products and for someone to say it just didn't work for them. We all have different needs, and crafting is no different. I hate when magazines and TV just bleat on about how wonderful things are, and yes I know that's what they are there for, to sell things, but you do have to think, is it for me? I value reviews and not just those that sing something's praises. I would rather hear about the 'flaws' because sometimes I think well I actually prefer that, or I don't use that bit enough anyway, so Helen, please don't be upset that it didn't work out. I really wish you had given a review... these things are worth knowing, good or bad!

Kitty said...

I don't think they can complain, you have been honest and not sold out over the promise of free stuff. You also haven't mentioned the product in a negative light, I'm sure they can can happily repackage it off for someone else to try who might get on with it better.

Shirley Davis (crafter) said...

Helen, I used to run my own website about children's books in the UK. All main publishers sent their new releases to me - yes, 100s of lovely new books - and my business was to promote those books on my site and get as many as I could professionally reviewed.

My one rider was that if I disliked a book for ANY reason, subjective or objective, I would not feature it but return to sender, if required to do so.

This refusal was seldom implemented but now, years later, I am still proud of taking a stance.

So Be Proud!