Saturday 11 May 2013

My Doodled Brooch Experiment

This project was a bit of an experiment as I had an idea but wasn’t sure if it would work.  As you know,  I have been finding doodling very therapeutic and relaxing of late  …. and this time thought I would go from the sublime  …. the mahooosive doodling that is the base of my paintings to the ridiculous …. a small brooch.
Doodled brooch
I got these clear glass cabochons from China a couple of years ago, and to my shame have hardly used any of them. I had seen something similar in a UK craft based magazine,  but when I saw how much they were for just one,  there was no way I was going to pay the price ….. but after a little researching on the internet and I found these for silly money,  as I said from China.
Picture60
Anyway …… I started with a very small doodle using Whisper pens and then stuck the cabochon on top (resisting my usual urge to add a little iridescent micro fine glitter) using a little Ranger Glossy Accents which, when dry,  goes completely clear …. and then all I had to do was wait patiently for it all to dry and to see if the colours ran ….. they didn’t, wooo hoo!
Picture61
However, the ink did run a little into the back of the paper, but as this brooch was for me I added the brooch back using E6000 glue, and when that dried, added a good layer of Ranger Glossy Accents to seal the paper, .…. but when I use this idea again …. I will either colour the back in with a solid colour or cover it with another layer of paper before adding the pin …. to make it look more professional …..
Picture62
I am planning on making a set of fridge magnets in the next little while, so can then see which idea works best.  But for now,  this brooch is pinned firmly to my jacket lapel.

6 comments:

MagsB said...

Oh my, this is just awesome! A brilliant idea, and a beautiful result!

love Mags B x

Sue said...

Loving this. You are so clever.

tilly said...

I bet this gets lots of great comments when you are out and about, doodling looks simple.......but not mine lol
Tilly

Paula said...

Lovely, Helen.

marc said...

looks fab will make great magnets big love marc have you got a melt pot Helen big love marc

Angie said...

So clever ....reminds me of broaches in the 60's.