Tuesday 9 January 2024

Rejigged Mirror

This mirror re-jig was a bit of an experiment as it’s been replaced in the hall by my insect mirror.  I think it’s an original 1970’s wall mirror that cost me about £4 a few years ago, so it owes me nothing. I simply resprayed it as the paintwork was in a sorry state when I bought it.

IMG_4860

I’d watched how you could use Iron Orchid transfers on glass with Marc back in the summer and when I saw rolls of  adhesive window stickers on Temu for just £1.78 I thought it might be worth a play, although I knew the results would not be as stunning.

IMG_4256

The roll, when it arrived, measured 23.6ins wide by 11.8ins, so more than enough to go along the bottom of the mirror.

IMG_4258

I simply fussy cut along the top of the design and carefully placed it on the mirror, using a craft stick to get rid of any bubbles or creases, which was surprisingly easy. 

IMG_4861

However, as I suspected, unlike the Iron Orchid transfers, the design was not completely transparent, you could see, everso slightly, where the design ended and the unadorned mirror began.

IMG_4257IMG_4260

But, undeterred I decided to cut out a few butterflies and a bee to help fill in some of the space above the design.

IMG_4263

This was so easy, but if I were to repeat the exercise, I think I would cut even closer to the edge.

IMG_4261

It looked pretty OK on the wall, but you know me, I just had to fiddle fart some more. I then sprayed painted some small cabochon flowers the same colour as the mirror ………

IMG_4527

…… and stuck them using E6000, in the middle of the four flowers and at strategic points around the frame.

IMG_4267IMG_4529

I think it worked.

IMG_4528

The sticker sheets definitely have potential.  If I had wanted to put the mirror on the wall horizontally, I could have easily completely covered the whole of the mirror to give it a frosted effect, but perhaps the contrast works just as well. It might also work by applying the design to the glass, over a simple framed landscape ……….  or even ….. round a plain, square/rectangular vase ……… and what about a plain white box, tiles, coasters even, Hmmmmm, plenty of ideas to play with now I think about it, happy days!

1 comment:

Cheryl W said...

I've seen those wall stickers on Temu, but I hadn't thought about applying them to a mirror. It looks great!