Wednesday 4 December 2019

Christmas Carrot Decorations

Carrot tree decorations????  Well, I suppose it was Aldi's Kevin The Carrot that was probably the inspiration for this silly idea!
There is a charity shop on the corner as I come home in the evenings that occasionally leaves a box of unsold bits and pieces outside ...... and well, it would be rude not to have a little mooch, and it was after one said mooch I found these two plastic carrots most probably from a food play set left abandoned and unloved........
I immediately thought of Bertie and how, when he was a baby used to sleep cuddled up to a giant Ikea soft toy carrot (?????) and decided then and there that I needed to rescue them to hopefully give them a completely new life as Christmas tree decorations, one each for Iris and Bertie to go into the bag of tree decorations I make them each year.
The first thing I did was drill a hole in the top of each carrot (using my model makers drill) in order  to fit a screw eye hook to hang them by.  I coloured the top with a red Sharpie pen to create a Santa hat, adding 3D snow effect and a little iridescent micro glitter for extra sparkle to make a fur trim and bobble.   
I decorated the hats with a punched holly leaf and three, red, flat backed red pearls.
The face was next using googly eyes and a black Sharpie pen smile, followed then by arms and hands.  

Close up photos take no prisoners, so before these two are wrapped in tissue I need to give them a quick brush down to remove all the surplus glitter. I know it's a really daft idea but who says carrots are only meant for the festive dinner table, especially ones that  were originally destined to end up for all eternity somewhere under a landfill site.  Happy days!

2 comments:

Cheryl W said...

Never, in all my days, would I have thought to make Christmas decorations out of plastic carrots. You are beyond creative!

tilly said...

Just love them and what treasured presents they will become at no expense !!
Tilly